Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Welcome Spring Weather!

Hello spring weather!  Where have you been?  Glad you are here!  I hope you can stay a long while!  Today in Northern Kentucky the temperature is expected to reach near 60 degrees!  This is a welcome change from all that white stuff we were having just a few weeks ago!  As I sit here typing, I look out the window and see the sun is shining.  Isn't it funny how the minute the weather begins to creep up you just want to break out the capris pants and flip flops!?  I had to go to the store this morning and while there I found myself drawn to looking at spring flowers and tulips.  The thought even crossed my mind, that we could use a spring wreath on the front door.  I looked through clothes for Emma, and found myself looking at clothes in bright springy colors.  I think this makes it official.....I have a case of spring fever!

Spring has a way of making everything so fresh and new.  I can literally just step outside and take in a deep breath and am convinced the air smells cleaner!  Since spring seems to add a little bounce in my step, I decided to rejoin Weight Watchers.  Though, this time, I am doing it online.  We will see how well I do.  Back in 2003, I was able to lose over 70 pounds....then I met my husband.  I got comfortable and as any other southern girl loves to do.....I cooked for him!  I believe it was my cooking that finally landed him and convinced him he couldn't live without me.  Actually, he tells me it was my meatloaf!  Cooking all those rich southern foods helped me to pack back on my 70 some pounds I had lost plus a few more!  Thankfully, he has stayed with me.  Now, here I am again watching what I eat and counting points while his dinners suffer a bit.  I think he is okay with it and it allows me to be a little more creative in the kitchen! 

Last night we finished off my first creative dinner.  I had marinated chicken breast in Fat Free Italian dressing and then I baked it in the oven.  I served it over white rice.  I had a side salad with tomatoes, bacon bits, and fat free french dressing.  I also had enough points to allow myself a piece of french bread.

Tonight (for me), it is baked cube steak with mushrooms and steak sauce with a side of mashed potatoes and a side salad.  I am not sure how the hubby will like baked cubed steak so I think I will bread his first and then bake it as a sort of healthier version of country "fried" steak.

Now, just because I am watching and counting points, doesn't mean you have to.  So I am sharing my famous meatloaf recipe!  This is THE recipe that my husband said won him over!  I have to thank my mother for this recipe.  Thanks mom!

"Win Him Over" Meatloaf
*1 lb. hamburger
*minced dried onion (to taste)
*salt (to taste)
*1 egg
*1/2 c. ritz crackers crushed
*1/4 c. oats
*1 Tablespoon steak sauce or barbecue sauce
*1/2 cup ketchup
*1/2 cup brown sugar
*6 slices of thick cut bacon

Directions:
Mix together your ketchup and brown sugar in a bowl and set aside.  Mix together in a large bowl, the rest of the ingredients till well blended using your hands.  Form the meat mixture into a loaf.  Place in a large casserole dish.  Press your hand down the center to make an indention running length ways (this will be your well for your ketchup and brown sugar mixture.)  Take bacon strips and begin covering tops and sides of the loaf with the bacon.  Top with your ketchup and brown sugar sauce.  Place in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.  You may want to experiment a bit with the bacon....I used to leave it on during the entire cooking time.  Now I usually remove the bacon for the last 15 minutes and I add a bit more sauce on top after removing the bacon.  This way I still get the bacon flavor in the meatloaf without actually serving the bacon.  The bacon doesn't get crisp and brown and sometimes ends up a bit chewy so I started discarding it.

Enjoy and I hope you love it!  Caution:  It may win some hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment