Saturday, February 26, 2011

Do It Anyway!

Okay so this post is more for inspiration for myself but you may be inspired as well!  Just yesterday, I was telling my very close friend, "I dread this next week's exercise!"  I am still dreading it but trying to convince myself to just get over it!  It is so difficult to go from doing NOTHING to working out 3 times a week! 

Last week I started walking on the treadmill to help me on this weight loss journey.  I decided to just do it 2 times last week and then this week I would jump up to 3 times.  They say that 30 minutes of exercise 3 times a week changes your health in great ways.  So that is my goal, 3 times a week of 30 mintue exercise.  Do I dread it, you bet!  Am I so excited like a child on Christmas morning to work out, that I am going to just hop up and jerk my shoes on and go!  No Way!  This is and has been my attitude all my life.  Do I need to change my mindset?  Yes!  Chapter 3 in my 100 Days of Weight Loss book is titled, "Do It Anyway". 

Am I only Interested in losing weight or am I Committed?
Here's a checklist.......
People who are only interested.....
*stick with it until something better comes along like a tv show, a busy schedule
*take actions only if they "feel like" doing it.
*need to see results in order to stay motivated
*blame people or circumstances for their struggles
*easily give up when they face challenges

People who are committed.....
*stick with their plans no matter what
*take action whether they feel like doing it or not
*assume that if they stay motivated, results will follow
*take responsibility for their own actions
*keep going in spite of challenges and setbacks

I am sad to say, I typically fall into the first category.  The big one is "needing to see results to stay motivated".  I know this mindset of mine with exercise needs to change.  I lost 2.75 pounds this week so I am up to 7.75 pounds total.  Here is one way to look at it.....42.25 pounds to go by July!  42.25 is better than 50....right?!  Exercise will only help me reach my goal so why wouldn't I want to do it?

I am going to exercise 3 times this week and I am going to stay committed to it.  Next week when I get on the scales I already know that I may gain or stay the same because I am gaining muscle....but I have to stay motivated if I want results to come. 

You want to know the best thing I read in this chapter?  I will quote the book....
You don't usually wait until you feel like going to work.  You just go.  The same thing is true for visiting your mother or changing dirty diapers.  Because you consider these things to be important, you do them regardless of how you feel at the moment.  In the same way, you don't have to feel like working on your weight-loss plan to stick to your program.  To improve your commitment, learn to focus on your actions, not just your feelings.  On days you're not in the mood for exercising or eating right, tell yourself to DO IT ANYWAY!

So true.  Since I view exercise as work, this quote helps me.  I shouldn't wait till I feel like doing it.  I should just do it.

Good luck to myself and you!  This week for me, will have its trials.  I have a baby shower to attend Friday.  I have planned to take in spinache dip and veggies to help myself stick to my program.  Will I be tempted to eat cake?  Yes, but I can prepare for this mentally ahead of time.  Preparation equals success!

Before I leave I want to share a couple of the things I ate this week...
*Tyson grilled and ready chicken breast with fresh salsa and 1/4 cup cheddar cheese melted on top with fat free refried beans.
*Natural Food Company Spinach Dip.....this is bought at Wal-Mart in the dip section.  It has a green label and the brand name is not very big.  Specifically it says "Made with Yogurt".  I have been eating this on salads instead of dressing.  It is 1 point for 2 Tablespoons.  It is sooooooo good!  I also have dipped a 3 pt. bagel in it as lunch.
*McDonald's McGrilled Chicken Classic sandwich with no mayo. (9 points)

Thanks to one of my favorite blogs I have a Weight Watcher's recipe I want to try this week too.  I have to thank "Fresh From the Farm" for a great recipe.  These "Nilla Yogurt Freeze" dessert cups sound so yummy!  Check out the recipe at
http://farmchickskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/02/weight-watcher-wednesday-nilla-yogurt.html


As I said, good luck to you especially if you are on this journey with me.  Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment