Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Weight Loss Wednesday: Slow Cooker Chipotle's Barbacoa Beef Recipe

Welcome Wednesday!  I've been eagerly awaiting your arrival!  I just couldn't wait to share some of the things that have been on my weight loss mind lately!  First off, I am going to share a recipe I have come across from Skinnytaste.com.  That girl has got some great recipes on there and she has already calculated the weight watcher's points for them too!  I have not tried this one, but ever since I tried Chipotle Grill for the first time, I can't seem to get enough of that kind of food.  The shredded meat, brown rice, corn, black beans, yummy yummy yummy!!!  So when I stumbled across this recipe I quickly saved it and plan to make it next week!  Add a little brown rice and black beans with some fat free sour cream and I'll be glad a serving is only 4 points!!!!  Can't wait to try it!!!


Slow Cooker Chipotle's Barbacoa Beef Recipe:
(Recipe from Skinny Taste)

Servings: 9 • Serving Size: 4 oz • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 161.4 • Fat: 5.0g • Protein: 24.9 g • Carb: 2.8 g • Fiber: 0.7 g

Ingredients:

3 lbs beef eye of round or bottom round roast, all fat trimmed
5 cloves garlic
1/2 medium onion
1/2 lime, juice
2-4 chipotles in adobo sauce (to taste)
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground oregano
1/2 tsp ground cloves
salt and pepper
3 bay leaves
1 tsp oil
1 cup water

Directions:
Place garlic, onion, lime juice, cumin, oregano, chipotles, cloves in a blender.

Trim all fat off meat, cut into 4 inch chunks. Season with salt and pepper and brown on high heat in 1 tsp oil. Add liquefied spices, water, bay leaves and simmer on low two hours in a pressure cooker. (If you are making this in a regular pot, you will have to double the cooking time to at least 4 hours or more, covered on low flame and add more water from time to time to make sure it doesn't dry out.)

Once cooked and the meat is tender, remove the meat and place in a dish. Shred it with two forks, and reserve the liquid for later (discard the bay leaf). Return the shredded meat to the pot, adjust salt and cumin (you may need to add more) to taste and add some of the reserved liquid back. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes to let the flavors penetrate.


Onto other things:  I came across an article on metabolism in First For Women Magazine (the January issue for 2013).  It was an article by Dr. Oz on the 3 different metabolic types that each person falls into.  I found myself to be a little of all three (the tigress, gazelle, and fox) but had more characteristics of the tigress than the other two.  The article suggests that each metabolic type digests certain foods better than others.  For example, the tigress needs more protein and less carbs and fats.  The day should consist of 70% protein, 30% fats, and 20% carbs.  I sort of already knew this about myself because I have done Weight Watchers a long time.  Each time I would hit a plateau I'd cut out the carbs and freezer meals and start eating more protein.....works every time.  The tigress seems to be outgoing, talks a lot, stocky build, craver of salty snacks, (and there were more).  The tigress body type is made more for strength than endurance.  It also mentioned that the tigress will most of the time not catch colds and flu viruses going around.  I found that interesting.  Now, Dr. Oz has talked about this exact same thing on his show but used different titles for the metabolic types where the Tigress was Metabolic type A, the Gazelle was Metabolic type B, and the Fox was Metabolic type C.  You can take your own quiz and get a little information by going to.....

http://www.doctoroz.com/quiz/quiz-what-your-metabolism-type

Well, everyone, have a great remainder of the week!  I look forward to Fitness Friday!!!!  Until then!


No comments:

Post a Comment