Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Another Snow Day Home From School

Today was our second snow day this week.  It seems they are adding up fast!  We are not even into February yet....this could mean a bit of my summer break will be spent behind the teacher's desk!  I don't know what tomorrow brings yet as far as school goes, but if we are out again....I am getting out of the house! 

Today I made some more of those chocolate monkey suckers, only this time they were mini versions.  They are quite simple to make.  Here is how....

I used the Wilton melting chocolates in chocolate and white chocolate.  I also used the Wilton large sugar decorating flower sprinkles.  All I did was lay out my wax paper.  I poured about 1/4 of the bag of chocolate into a ziplock bag, placed it in a microwave bowl, and heated it for about a minute and 15 seconds.  I then mashed the chocolate so the little bits that had not melted yet would melt.  If you have larger bits that haven't melted you can put it back in for another 15 seconds and mash again with your hands.  I then, once the chocolate was completely melted, snipped a very tiny corner off the bag with scissors.  I then used the bag like a cake decorating icing bag and drew circles about the size of a golf ball onto the wax paper.  I placed a sucker stick...I used Wilton's sucker sticks but you could use any kind....into the middle of the circle and covered the stick with a bit more chocolate.  I then drew two smaller circles with the chocolate on the sides of the larger circle to make the ears.  I allowed them to set up and harden for about 1/2 hour.  I then melted the white chocolate the same way and again cut a very tiny corner of the bag.  I piped on the little face which is sort of like a heart sitting ontop of a sideways oval.  I also put white dots for the inner ear.  Before the white chocolate began to set up, I placed one little sugar flower at the top (now if you are doing a boy's monkey party...you may not want the flower).  I allowed the white chocolate to set up for another 1/2 hour.  I then melted just a bit more of the chocolate colored chocolate and dotted eyes, nose, and drew a simple smile.  I allowed them to set up and then wrapped them in sandwich bags tied with ribbon.

If you are pretty good with the bag you could do the same concept with different designs.  I thought of snowmen for winter and ghosts for Halloween.  Actually if you feel comfortable, you could probably free hand anything and put a sucker stick in it!

I was also so excited today when my Oriental Trading order arrived with the remaining Goody Bag items for Emma's birthday party!  I ordered banana ink pens, banana flavored candies, and monkey shaped straw cups!  My Goody Bags are turning out very cute!  Along with the items above, they also have a little Ty Beanie Baby monkey, one of my monkey suckers from above, animal crackers, Curious George fruit snacks which I got from Kroger, and will have a mini banana.  The kids of course will also get to take home their straw cup which I personalized with a black sharpie marker.  Each cup has a child's name on it. 

I love hosting parties and I am getting really excited about her upcoming party!  Thanks to my new readers for stopping by!  Your visit means a lot to me!  Keep visiting and checking back as I will be putting more recipes, pictures, crafts, and ideas on here!  Have a wonderful night all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment