Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hibernation in Progress!

Weather man said it would snow....and he was right.  It is snowing currently as I write.  I just love fresh snow.  It is beautiful and reminds me of God's grace.  The way he allows us to see such beauty and the way it just perfectly blankets the earth in pure white....beautiful.  I am sharing a couple of pictures I took from my back door.  We have such a beautiful view up on the hill that it would be selfish to keep all this beauty to myself!

When I am snowed in, it seems I want to start nesting!  It causes me to want to bake and decorate or get crafty!  However; I am not sure I will get much crafting or baking done today....the house needs cleaning.  Oh I wish I could invent a special magic dust you could sprinkle and with a snap of the fingers have your house magically cleaned for you!  I'll just keep dreaming! 

Since I didn't have this blog up and running before, I do want to share with you some of the craft ideas I had for my daughter Emma.  When I was expecting Emma, I knew I wanted a nursery that would transition into her toddler years so I chose a sort of garden theme.  I decided to paint some birdhouses and hang them on the wall.  I also decided to paint posts under them and add removable flower stickers to accentuate the posts. 

I also found the perfect removable quote for her room and it suits her to a tee!  I put it on the opposite wall.  I found it at one of the local Target stores.  The birdhouses I purchased from Wal-Mart and painted in shades of brown, pink, and green and also hot glued ribbon accents on them.

This past summer, I had a dilema.  Emma had a lot of sleepers and clothes I just couldn't part with, but I knew I really didn't want to store them all so I came up with the idea of taking them and turning them into a keepsake quilt.  Now all I have to do is look at that quilt and a flood of memories come rushing back to me!  I can remember the one outfit.  It seemed like everytime she wore it she would spit up on it.  One of the outfits seemed to attract every stain!  And who can forget those little ruffles across the backside that got in the way when I was patting the bottom trying to quiet the fussies?!  I had to save those too!  I took the perfect 8x8 square from the outfits (mostly from the backs of the sleepers and fronts of shirts).  I did try to save some of those adorable appliques that make the sleepers and outfits so cute and appealing!  I then sewed those pieces together.  My wonderful mother (who is probably reading this) helped me finish it by teaching me how to add batting, a back (which we cut from a very soft white sheet), and binding.  I love this quilt and have shared the idea with many of my friends who talk about having so many baby clothes stored in boxes! 

If you are a mother and have lots of baby clothes you just can't part with, I highly recommend this craft idea.  I am not a seemstress by any means.  My only training with a sewing machine was in Home Economics class where I made one pair of shorts that fell apart the first time I wore them, but if you can sew a straight line, you can make this quilt....even if all you do is piece together the top and pay someone to bind it for you....it is worth it!  Have a wonderful and happy day!

1 comment:

  1. I love that keepsake quilt idea..where you can cherish your memories.
    Thank you for stopping by at mgcc.

    ReplyDelete